Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ain't Nothin' Like

I get into getting out on my mower
In the early mornin' hours 'fore the sun gets hot
And I like goin' down to the Kroger
When the carnival comes to the parkin' lot

-Brad Paisley


James, Ian and I watched the movie Pan's Labyrinth last night. Watching subtitled movies on small T.V.s is quite the task. Occasionally I got sidetracked and forgot to read and we had to rewind, but we managed okay. I have to say that before I saw the movie I kind of thought that it was some sort of fantasy kid flick, but this was not the case. It was really good, though. I highly recommend it if you are over the age of 13, not grossed out by frogs, and undisturbed by creepy, pale-faced monsters with eyeballs on their hands.



This guy will give you nightmares. I'm checking under my bed tonight.

All movie nights must be preceded by a trip to the Kroger, our affectionate name for the Chevron Station on Tharpe and Mission Road. Actually, most activities are preceded by a stop at the Kroger. I don't remember exactly how it came to be called the Kroger, Lori and James probably remember, but the Kroger has the best fountain drinks in Tallahassee. Giant cups are refilled for only 59 cents. They know us there. When I picture the Kroger in my head, I get a fuzzy, nostalgic kind of feeling, kind of like it's the Cheers atmosphere. They yell, "Calyn!" when I walk in and always smile and ask me about my day. If I don't remember my wallet, they put it on my tab... In actuality, though, the Kroger is generally crowded; a rude, overworked lady with a couple teeth missing is usually up front accusing me of getting a new cup and trying to scam her for a refill price, and half the time the Diet Pepsi isn't working anyway. Everything you'd expect from a corner gas station. I love it.

1 comment:

TX said...

aaa))) love the picture!!!
I've seen this movie and liked that scene!!! nice work in any case))))