Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Let's just give Abraham Lincoln a British accent and call it a day

Last night, Jenna and I were listening to the Police on my laptop and we decided that people with accents are far more persuasive when it comes to matters of love. Someone from Minnesota could sing a line of music and it would not be nearly as convincing as someone singing the very same line from Liverpool. Why is that? Somehow Sting makes me believe that he is the omniscient expert on all matters of the heart. During the same listening stint, we also concluded that, like it or not, some songs will be associated with Guitar Hero until the end of time. Like a mysterious force, as soon as I hear the words, "sending out an S.O.S…." I absolutely must throw my left hand up like a rock star and pelt out, like the vowel rule- red, blue, yellow, green, and sometimes orange. My pinky muscle has grown to be a formidable member of the finger team. At least on my left hand.


Speaking of the British, I watched Sense and Sensibility the other night. I am not a huge fan of Jane Austin novels; they are pretty tedious, but a two-hour, abridged movie is generally alright. Sense and Sensibility is probably my favorite. I haven't watched it since Harry Potter came out, though, and Lerah and I found that the majority of the cast of Sense and Sensibility is in the Harry Potter movies. Professor Trelawney, Professor Snape, Delores Umbridge, Madam Pomphrey, Cornelius Fudge, the Fat Lady…there's more, but I can't think of them at the moment. They're all in Sense and Sensibility. British actors must look out for each other. And then there's Hugh Laurie who comes out of nowhere as a witty, cynical, rude fellow...hmmm, I guess if you're good at something, you should stick with it.


There was a minor crisis in the office today when it was noticed that all coffee had disappeared from the break room. Fortunately I had an emergency pack of tea, courtesy of Lori. My co-workers scoffed at the idea of my bringing in a bag of Starbucks de-caf tomorrow, so we will see what their solution is. Come on in and visit and register to vote. If you're tired of the traditional two-party system, we have a variety of parties to meet your needs. The Surfers' Party, the Modern Whig Party, the Family Values Party, even the Poor People's Party. I'll even give you a sticker. :0)




1 comment:

Julie Q said...

What? No coffee?! How dare!!