Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Farewell to Chemistry Lab

Today was Jenshka and I's last day of Chemistry Lab. To celebrate we went to 1 Stirfry. Or maybe we just went there because we go there every Thursday...regardless, there was some serious celebrating going on. I have taken some useless classes in my day- Positive Living, Liberal Arts Math, Freshman Comp - but this one beats all. I would like to share with you all the things I learned and did not learn from Chem Lab 1020:

Things I did not learn from Chem Lab 1020:

Interactions of matter
The molecular structure of compounds
The First Law of Thermodynamics
Reaction Equations
What water is made from
The names of the elements
What is an atom
What is a molecule
How to identify protons, neutrons or electrons
The states of matter
Anything that might be useful on Jeopardy

Things I did learn from Chemistry Lab

Some chemicals show different colors on a spectrograph. This probably means something.
Silly putty is stretchy.
Food coloring can stain your hands. Red more than others.
Some places in the world get acid rain. This probably means there's pollution in the world or maybe it has something to do with the Ozone layer.
If you put a glass plate on a burner it will break.
You should always wear closed toed shoes in the lab. A skittle may fall on your foot.
Candy can be used to represent radioactive materials. It is a great match because it has nothing in common with radioactive materials. You can pretend it does and then you don't get widespread carnage and death when you accidentally fling it across the room.
Our chemistry lab TA was seriously hot. Jenna agrees.

If they asked me to do a blurb for the FSU Chemistry Quarterly, I would be happy to oblige.

~~~I am so glad that Chemistry Lab was one of my required courses at FSU. I feel that it really helped me understand my major of international affairs much better. Besides the fact that I took Chemistry 3 years ago at TCC and only had to take this lab so that they would hand over my diploma it was right before Extinct Anthropodal Biology and right after Intermediate Norweigan II on my list of priorities. So it was up there. I think my favorite chemistry experiment was when we shook skittles in a bag for 10 minutes to see how long it took for the "S" to rub off. That was a great one.~~~

1 comment:

Emmychka said...

At least you didn't pay for the class ;) I lover ya!