Saturday, September 01, 2007

To all the Swiss out there...

You should never go grocery shopping when you are hungry. It is a bad plan. Combine hunger with Publix, where shopping is a pleasure, and you have a recipe for disaster. Perhaps not disaster, but an extra-large grocery bill. Jenna and I went to buy grapes. Green grapes were 99 cents a pound and this is a good deal, especially if you enjoy grapes. Grapes were the only thing we needed. But, you see, Publix had all of these buy one/get one deals yesterday. And I mean, if you buy one, you get one free. Who can pass this up? Jenshka and I filled our buggy with sweet tea, bagels, yogurt, green beans, healthy choice microwave meals, and some "lightly cinnamon" wheat thins. I have a bone to pick with the Wheat Thins company. "Lightly cinnamon" doesn't make any sense. It should be "light cinnamon" or "lightly cinnamoned" or "lightly flavored with cinnamon." "Lightly cinnamon" is both confusing and grammatically incorrect. I mean, how can cinnamon be "lightly?" Cinnamon can be old, it can be delicious, it can be aromatic, but it cannot be lightly. Unfortunately, there seems to be a hole in the English requirement of the marketing major.

Is it bad that I'm already anticipating the end of the semester? It's only day 4 of class, but yesterday in Russian Lit I doodled pictures of stars and kept count of how many times my professor said the word "how-eeeeeever." 14. In my defense, she spent much of the lecture telling the story of how Prince Vladimir chose Christianity as the religion for the kingdom of Russia. I tell this same story every year at Radooga Orientation. I know it backwards and forwards. And when I tell it, it is much more interesting. My prefered storytelling medium is the flannelgraph, but when this is unavailable, a white board will do. She used nothing but her mouth. How am I supposed to keep interested?

Last night Kenley, Jenna, Joe, Janelle, David, Dean and I ate fish at Dean's house and then we watched the Sound of Music. To clear up for everyone, Edelweiss is neither the anthem of Austria nor even an Austrian song. It was simply written by Rogers and Hammerstein for the musical. The edelweiss is actually the national flower of Switzerland. Who knew? (Probably the Swiss.)


(Edelweiss)

Monday is Labor Day and as such, we will be taking a break from our labors. This means that there will be a kickball game at 5:30 on the hill. Everyone should be there. :0) Arrivederci!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Sound of Music. I did know about Edelweiss...being Swiss and not Australian...