Friday, March 28, 2008

I'll Have to Spill Some Spaghetti Sauce on My Shirt for a Nice Touch

I took Lori’s birthday card with me to work this morning. It wasn’t a typical size envelope, not large enough to make it anything exciting, just large enough that the top said, “requires extra postage.” I think Hallmark has a deal with the Post Office to get a little bit of extra funding. Maybe Hallmark takes a little bit off the top. (Now watch me get nasty letters from Hallmark and the Post Office. They won’t mail them in an oversized envelope, I’ll tell you that much.) Anyway, I had to go to the Post Office to figure out exactly how much postage we were talking. Throw in “extra postage” when you’re talking international stamps and it gets very confusing. Generally I just stick tons of stamps on things and they get there alright, but I was running low in my stamp supply, so I decided to actually check the price. I went to Starbucks on the way, because, well, you don’t really need a reason to go to Starbucks, you just do. But in the process of addressing my oversized envelope, I managed to spill iced coffee all over it. How embarrassing. I marched to the post office in some very uncomfortable high heels and just at the moment I thought all hope was gone and I should never get there before my toes became little stubs at the bottom of my shoes, I saw the eagle. Thank goodness. A very nice postal employee helped me buy my stamps and assured me that he thought it was just an artsy envelope that was supposed to look like that. (“That” being the coffee spilled all over it.) He said, “Well, she’ll just be excited about getting a letter from so far away.” So Lori, be excited about getting a letter and don’t mind the coffee. ;0) I noticed a most exciting thing as I waited for him to measure my oversized envelope. There are currently Jimmy Stewart stamps for sale at the Post Office. Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite people. I mean, of the favorite people that I don’t actually know and are currently dead, that is. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Jimmy Stewart in a movie that I didn’t like. So if you are buying stamps any time soon, buy some that say “James Stewart” on them. They’re very exciting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have good taste in men. : )