Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Extreme Makeover- Gingerbread Edition

So I learned something new tonight. People make gingerbread houses out of gingerbread. This was news to me, as I've always constructed my gingerbread houses out of graham crackers and frosting. I have been informed, however, that gingerbread is the best way to build a gingerbread house. Who would have thought? I will eventually prove this wrong, though.

My first real memory of gingerbread house making was when I was about 5 at my friend Jennifer's house. I don't remember the details of that baking day, but I'm sure my gingerbread/graham cracker house was not anything worth mentioning.
At Sarah Evere...Egger's birthday party one year we had a gingerbread house making contest. Alec's was definitely the most awesome. He made the whitehouse.



Uh...yeah, it looked something like this.

Anyway, to bring in the Christmas cheer this evening we decided to have a gingerbread house party tonight. I'll post our amazing results.




















Us working super hard on our houses






Carli made an amazing mobile home, complete with John Deer green pickup.













Alex quotes of the evening:

"No, you have to do this." -Diane Ashburn
"Wait, but I don't want to do any work." -Alex Cherukara

"We need some 2 X 4's and a drill gun." -Alex

"We're going to have these nice, alternative circular windows. Wait, by alternative I'm not suggesting that this house participates in an alternative lifestyle or anything."

"We don't build houses out of cookies in Norway." - Alex




My house.



Jenna's house.







































Poor David and Alex's house collapsed on top of one of their occupants. Poor Mr. Gingerbread.





David and Alex's house was the only one whose house did not stay standing. This proves that graham crackers make the better building materials. You can see the parade of homes on display at Kenley's house from now until December 23rd. Contact Diane Ashburn for details. Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

your house was made out of a cardboard box with cracker siding. it's like those houses that just have the brick front to look pretty but the rest of the house is plastic. I think our frosting was faulty. Obviously the weather was not Christmassy enough for it to take well.

Anonymous said...

Gingerbread works :) http://ebetys.vuodatus.net/blog/category/Piparkakkuty%F6t