Friday, June 01, 2007

How To Convert Your Friends into Country Music Fans

People, it has happened. I have successfully converted Jenna into a country music fan. Jenna. The last person I thought I could get to listen to 94.9. I couldn't have done it alone. Thanks to The Dean, Sarah, Lori and the others who have supported me in this endeavour.

Friends have come to me and said, "Calyn, how did you do this? I've been trying for years to get my [insert being here] to listen to country music with no luck."

I've decided to write a self-help manual on my blog to help you all.

Converting Your Friends into Country Music Fans for Dummies -by Calyn Reber

Step 1- Finding Common Ground

Not all of us have been blessed enough to grow up listening to country music. Some people have parents who always listened to Rush Limbaugh on the radio, some listened to Wee Sing Kid tapes, some lived in places where they didn't have country music, like Bangladesh or South Florida. Often times when those friends enter your vehicle to hear Alabama blasting, it's a little too much for them to handle. Their ears have not been accustomed to twang and nearly understandable southern accents. This is why you must find common ground first.

Turn your dial to Star 98. There, in the midst of crap like, "This is why I'm hot...this is why you're not...I'm hot 'cause I'm fly...You ain't 'cause you not..." you will occasionally hear goodness creeping through. Goodness like Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood. This is where you start.

When person X enters your vehicle, have a CD ready to go with songs of various people whom Star 98 has deemed worthy to play on their station. Things like, "Making Memories of Us," and "Who Says You Can't Go Home." You'll want to bypass "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" at this point in the game.

Hopefully, you will hear person X humming or even singing along. Once you have reached this point, prepare for step 2.

Step 2- Let Them Think That They are Doing You a Favor

When person X enters your car, wait until they get situated and then say, "Oh, sorry. I forgot you don't like to listen to country music. Then change it to some sad alternative. Most of the time, if you have a good friend, they will say, "Oh, no. It's okay. It's your car," or something like that.

Step 2 is tricky because it may or may not happen. You may have a friend who is not that polite. After repeated failed efforts it is okay to move ahead to Step 3

Step 3- The Roadtrip

The roadtrip is absolutely essential for full submersion. Without the roadtrip, one can spend months, even years repeating steps one and two, hoping for a breakthrough. I am speaking from experience, because I was converted in a roadtrip. Sarah and Rebekah promised me that if I listened to country music for our whole Alabama roadtrip that I would be a fan by the time we came home. I didn't believe them. But it was true.

The key about country music is it's only fun once you know the words. It's great singalong music. I mean, really, how many rap songs can you sing along to? You mostly just bob your head, do the white man's overbite, and wait for the chorus. So, this is why roadtrips are essential. Camping roadtrips in giant Tahoe's with ipods make for great conversions. You need multiple people singing along. Find a theme song. You want something with catchy lyrics that you can quote like, "Mmmmmmmmmmm, old man Wrigley has died..." Then you do your best Ronnie Dunn impersonations. You want to figure out the songs that person X likes, and play those multiple times, until they start learning the words. Once they learn lyrics, your work is basically done.

99% of the time you will have a country music fan upon your return.



Calyn Reber is a freelance writer in the Florida Panhandle. She started listening to country music at the age of six, but fell away until some friends brought her back in high school. She spends some of her time paying forward what her friends did for her. She likes swimming, jogging and tapioca pudding. Calyn lives in Tallahassee with her roommates, Diane and Jenna and their pet turtle, Sam. Or, at least if she had a pet turtle, his name would be Sam.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

She does, or did, have a dog, Bailey , whom she abandoned several years ago. He waits patiently at the door for her to come home.

Unknown said...

YOU'LL NEVER CONVERT ME!!! NEVER I SAY!!! NEEEEEVEEERERRRRRR!

lauren noel said...

Calyn, when do you go to Ukraine? (I'm assuming you're going back?) I'll be there July 19! Man, I wish I could go to the beach with you...looks beautiful! Hope you're having a good summer...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

But, I's country...country is a good thing, people. Come on, David...somewhere deep in your heart, you tap your feet to country.

Anonymous said...

And poor Bailey...