Sunday, August 20, 2006

Another Roadtrip!



Party with Pasha!



Lori, that is hot.



Yes, Pasha, it is amazing that you can see yourself in the mirror.

So, as the last day before work starts up again for Radooga staff, we went on a little trip. Today me, Lori, Oleg and Oksana Magdych, Veronica, Ira, Vitalik and 2 of his friends went to this place “outside of Kyiv” (Outside of Kyiv being what we were told. “Outside of Kyiv” says to me 30 minutes max. Over 200 kilometers was the actual distance. I guess it was outside of Kyiv…) called Sofivksy Park and it was soooo cool. It was this huge outdoor park thing with waterfalls and gardens and all sorts of cool stuff. We rented paddleboats for 60 cents a piece (that’s a deal, I’d say) and it was awesome. Me and Vitalik got a jacked up one, though. Everyone else was leisurely paddling and we’re like paddling in bike trip mode the whole time just trying to stay afloat. We had a picnic too and we even played a little Frisbee. I was the official tour guide (Okay, well, maybe not official...) and made up all kinds of stories about what was to our left and right and who the statues were of. I started running out of ideas after about an hour, but Oleg Magdych stepped in to help a little. :0) Saint Bob dyed the water green, the giant cement plant holder was a actually a trophy from when they used to hold dog races there on Thursdays, St. Andrew the Silent opened the first mime school in the Chernigiv region, and the huge old dead tree was actually the mailbox post of the Polish monster that used to terrorize the villagers. Of course, he got a good deal, because everyone was too afraid of him to put mail in his mailbox and so he never had to pay rent or his phone bill. He was terribly lonely, though, which is probably why he started terrorizing the villagers. I wonder if he was terrorizing them or maybe they just didn’t speak Polish. I guess we’ll never know.

Veronica started reading a pamphlet about the park and when it was built and such but I told them that really the founder of the park, Sofia, was a wizard (I had been reading Harry Potter earlier that day) and she built Sofivsky Park as a huge place to play Quidditch. (It’s the game they play in Harry Potter kinda like soccer, but on broomsticks and much more exciting. I don’t know if you’ve read/seen Harry Potter or not.) It’s out in the middle of nowhere, so it’s the perfect place for wizards to play Quidditch without Muggles (non-magic folk) seeing them. There’s even a wizard school on the grounds. (Of course they don’t tell you it was a wizard school, but it’s quite obvious from the looks of it.) I was trying to explain this to Oksana in Russian and I almost tripped over…a broom! lying in the middle of the sidewalk. What’s the means of transportation for Quidditch? Broomsticks! It was so clear! And then we went to the souvenir place and nearly every shop had witches on broomsticks for sale. I don’t think there’s any other explanation. I almost had Oleg convinced by the time we left. (He’s a hard one to crack, he is.)

Hopefully Lori and I will be going to Poland this week, but it doesn’t look very promising at the moment because tickets are rather hard to come by. Apparently Krakow is quite the vacation spot. It’s ‘cause they have dragons. "Tvoy Smok?"

Paddle Boats Rock!



Me and Veronica

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"bike trip mode" that about did me in. how i long for yesterday...

Anonymous said...

I love Lori & Calyn