Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Happy Thank Your Local Salt Miner Day!

So apparently the Federal Government gave a two-hour delay to its employees this morning because of the nasty weather. I, as an intern, am not on their list. When Linda tried to put me on their list last week they said that they do not want any interns or contractors to be on the list because they will leave soon anyway. That is sweet of them. So...here I am. No one's really here. Gives me time to write a blog post.

I did something new yesterday. I walked in ice. Before yesterday, I thought ice was pretty. You make sculptures with it, you eat it, you put it in sweet tea. Today my eyes have been opened. It's slippery, it's wet, it's cold, and it wants your legs to break. Water and steam are welcome to any parties I might have in the future, but H20's solid form does not merit an invitation. My views of salt were just as equally challenged, however. I am not a huge fan of salt. I like salt-free pretzels, low-sodium potato chips and I avoid adding salt to really anything. But salt battles ice quite nicely. There are these little men, I don't know where they come from, but as soon as the ice hits they come out with these fertilizer machines and cover the ground with ice. They're like elves, but taller. (Actually, they don't really look like elves at all, they look like very cold, under-paid laborers, but I still get the vision of the elves that sneak out at night to make shoes.) It's a slug's nightmare.

Anyway, you'll be happy to know I didn't even fall once. (Or, maybe, like Joe and Dean, you are hoping for an "I almost died today" story. It will have to wait for another day.) But, waiting for the bus last night I had to restrain myself from laughing at the people sliding across the street in front of me. It really wasn't funny...but it really was. Have a great day, everybody, and if you see a salt miner, thank him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BTW, Why don't sheep shrink in the rain? Rain water is not hot enough. If you place them in boiling water they rapidy shrink to the size of a bean.