Sunday, April 24, 2005

Loathsome Until The End

Well, I have my sociology exam in 7 hours. (7:30, how horrible is that? Go figure.) I'm ploughing my way through the 200 question review which has a bunch of questions that, besides being absolute bologna, contradict each other.

Sociology = bologna
But the fact that most of the questions contradict each other (not to mention contradict the Bible and everything I hold to be right, true and moral) makes it all the more exciting. I should have bet on this class being abhorrent right until the very last second. It's only natural.
But I'm taking a break from it right now. Yesterday Rufus and I went to my favorite place in the western hemsphere, home of Henry and Florida's deepest spring, that's right! It was beautiful. The weather was gorgeous. i didn't get burned. sweet relaxation. I even drifted off for a moment while I was laying on the dock. I found out you can get a Florida State Park pass for like, 50 bucks and you get two stickers to go on your car(s), and I think it might be worth it. $4 bucks a pop, times a bunch of times a year would proably add up to $50. Plus everybody in your car gets in free, so that would be nice. They were having this "hands-on" Florida thing and there were booths with all sorts of wildlife and stuff. We got to pet some turtles (not the snapping turtle, alhtough I was kinda tempted...it was just sitting there...) And I got to see all these owls and hawks and even a bald eagle. And I got to pet a horseshoe crab, and he was cool.
Then I spent the night at her house and we watched "meet the fockers" and played truth or dare jenga, which was, very interesting. We got up this morning and went to Four Oaks, Ruth's church, and it was really cool. I liked it a lot. The pastor talked about prayer (Matthew 6:5-15) and how important it is, and I really learned a lot. It was cool how he just opened the bible and talked from it. I mean, he really didn't have any notes except Bible verses. Just tons of them over and over, and it was awesome. Sometimes the best illustrations come straight from the bible, you know? We forget how simple it is. Scripture backs up scripture. You really don't need anything else. He made some really good points about the words we use to pray, and how sometimes we just pray things that we've heard over and over and don't really think about what we're saying. God doesn't listen to prayers like that. You can say the Lord's Prayer all day, but if you don't really mean what you're saying, what good is it doing?
Matthew 6:7-8 says, "And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him." How many times do we try to use the right words and phrases and sound "spiritual" when we pray in front of people (or even by ourselves)? I guess I just felt really convicted by that. Not that I'm a good speaker in any sense, but I get so nervous when I pray in front of people because I worry about messing up or saying the wrong thing. How stupid is that? I mean, if I'm okay with what I'm saying to the Creator of the universe, why should I care about what some random people think? It just doesn't make any sense. Anyway, this is getting very long and it's not getting any earlier. Or, I guess it is rather, because it's now the a.m. That's so sad... Okay, so it is getting earlier, so I need to get back to studying. College peoples, we're almost done! Just a few days more. We can do it! And, highschool peoples, I'm sorry for you. :0( But it'll be here before you know it. Have a great week, everybody!
Arrivederci!

No comments: