Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Guess what?!

Guess what peoples? I got a car! A car that is younger than me! A car that payments can be made on for far less than the cost of repairs made on my former car! A car that doesn't leak! A car that isn't rusting! A car that still has paint on it! A car that doesn't require me putting oil in it every three days because it burns it all up! A car with power steering! A car with cruise control! A car with working winshield wipers! A car that I'm not afraid to drive in remote areas because it may break down at any moment! A car with a functioning defroster! A car with a clear, oh so beautiful speakers! A car with a normal CD player! A car with mirrors on the side that I can see out of! A car that can go over 55 miles an hour! (but not over 70 of course....) A car with airbags! A car that has a seatbelt that may actually prevent me from dying in the event of an accident! A car with AIR CONDITIONING!!! It's so exciting! I can't believe it.
But in this time of bliss, ecstasy and bedazzlement, I can't help but feel a pang of sorrow. My poor Toyota doesn't know what he's done wrong. He's sitting in my yard and looks so sad. We took his license plate off, and I almost heard him whimper. He's served my dad and I faithfully for 23 years, and I just can't make him understand why I have to move on. How do you part with something just, just like that? I realize he's only a car, but he's been there my entire life. He brought my Dad home every day from work and his happy horn always announced my Dad's arrival. He was the first car I learned how to drive. He took me to get my license. He took me to work. He took me to church, to school, to birthday parties, to garage sales and grocery stores, and movie theatres and doctor's offices, and anywhere else I needed to go. We were together through thick and thin. I had a bond with that car. All of our other cars I yelled at when they acted up, and cared little about their welfare, but Toyota, well, he was always special. He wasn't a wreck magnet like the mustang, or a lemon like the bonneville, or a gas-sucking monster like the astro van. When he sputtered I coaxed him to go on, just a mile further. I patted the dashboard when he did a good deed, and I encouraged him to keep up his speed on the interstate, congratulating him when he made it to our exit. We spent at least 2 hours together every day. I guess I'm just a little torn. The Saturn place said they would take him off my hands for me, but they wouldn't give me anything for him. How could I send him away to someone who didn't even want him? Someone who was just going to use his parts and cut him up for scrap metal? I couldn't do it. So he's still sitting in my driveway. I guess I'll have to get rid of him soon, but for now I'll just let him spend a few more nights in the driveway of the house he's been at for 17 years. I guess I know how Adam Elliot felt.
Arrivederci little Toyota.

5 comments:

Jim said...

Congratulations on the new car. It sounds like the old Toyota could become a lawn ornament. With all your artistic ability you can dress it up and decorate it. People would flock from all around to see it.

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenshka said...

It is sad that you must part with Timothy, but I think you will learn to love your Saturn. We need to think of a name for it. How about Yoshek? :)

Calyn said...

Oh, but Jenshka, he/she doesn't look like a hedgehog. I think that would hurt his/her feelings.

Rebekah said...

its a he-she! ewww!!! bad thing!