Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Jesus Freaks!

Today in pink carpet bible study (backporch edition) we read some stories from the "Jesus Freaks" book from the Voice of the Martyrs. I read the coolest story ever! I mean, they're all good, but this was was awesome. Pastor Richard Wurmbrand (hey, Sarah, that's pronounced "Vurmbrand" much like, Sarah VIRgo! Ah, memories.) wrote about the time while he was living in Romania in the 1940s and he met a Russian captain. (Romania was part of the USSR at the time, so Christianity was outlawed.) This Russian captain loved God with all his heart, but had never held a Bible or been to a church. He loved God without knowing who He was. Pastor Wurmbrand read the captain the Sermon on the Mount and other parables and when the captain heard them, he started dancing around the room with joy unable to contain the happiness he felt. He said, "How could I live without knowing this Christ?" The stories of Jesus captivated him. So, then the pastor read the story of the crucifixion. The poor captain had no idea it was coming and started sobbing. He thought the Savior that he just had found out about was dead. As the captain wept, the pastor began to feel ashamed that he even called himself a Christian. He couldn't believe the emotion that the captain was feeling. He hurried on to the ressurection. When the Captain heard about it, he started screaming "He's alive! He's alive" and danced around the room once again. He accepted Christ then and there, and the prayer was probably the most sincere prayer I have ever heard of. The captain said, "O God, what a fine chap You are! If I were You and You were me, I would never have forgiven You Your sins. But You are really a very nice chap! I love You with all my heart." The captain knew that when he became a Christian, he would immediately lose his position in the army and would probably die in jail, but he didn't care the slightest bit. He was willing to lose everything to follow Jesus.
How awesome is that?

3 comments:

Lori said...

That's really hubling...makes you (or me, I guess) remeber how much joy I should be showing.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome.. I wish I was more willing to step out for Christ like that. I wonder if I would die in a prison cell if it ever came to that. I would hope I would, but I know my nature too..Thanks for the reminder Calyn! You're awesome!

Jenshka said...

That was a great story. You guys can't read the Bartholomew story without me. Oh, and by the way, I found out that Leah can't come to PCBS next week either, soooooo...I think we should postpone our "fieldtrip" until we can have the full entourage. Christina agrees with me too. :)