Tuesday, February 01, 2005

First Impressions

7:15 a.m.- subconsciously turn off my alarm clock and continue sleeping.

7:30 a.m.- subconsciously turn off my alarm again and continue sleeping.

8:00 a.m.- hear my watch chime as it hits 8:00, which is the precise time I am supposed to be pulling out of my driveway so I can make it to class at 8:35.

8:00:02 a.m.- attempt to jump out of my bunkbed and fall instead.

8:00:07 a.m. - get up off the floor and run to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

8:07 a.m.- grab my purse to run out the door and accidentally pull the entire wall hanger thingy off the wall and helplessly watch all the things hanging on it fall on the floor.

8:08 a.m.- run out the door in the rain and notice that my windows were open all night. 8:09 a.m.- put towels in my car so that my pants don't get totally soaked.

8:13 a.m.- get stuck in traffic.

8:45 a.m.- pull into the school parking lot and get the second to the last parking spot.

8:46 a.m.- realize that I forgot my umbrella.

8:47 a.m.- step in a giant puddle.

8:49 a.m.- sneak into class looking like something from "creature from the black lagoon."

Mercifully, first impressions of a day are not always accurate predictions of how the rest of the day will go. By the time I got out of my class the sun was shining and my car seats, hair, shoes, shirt and pants had almost totally dried. Then I made the trek over to FSU and found a parking spot almost right off. And in Russian class we learned how to talk on the phone, and I even learned how to say, "You have the wrong number" which is a fun thing to know how to say. And I got an A on my test. And then I came home and went running and later watched a video on the American Revolution for my history class, and that was pretty interesting. And then we had BIBLE STUDY! (which is usually the only redeeming thing about Tuesdays.) We're reading Acts chapter 7, so we decided to watch the "all things to all people" drama- Stephen. Y'all, that is such a great drama. We only got through half of it, because it's like 2 hours long, so we're going to watch the rest next week. Callie's really mad because she wants to know what happens next. I guess that means it was a hit. And Leah made these awesome chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. She says that raisins do not belong in cookies because they are healthy. And that would be paradoxal. We had a great time. So, although it started out a little rough, today was a good day. I was sitting in my very nice parking spot listening to the radio this morning and the Rich Mullins song "Calling out Your Name" came on, and I really like that song, because I always close my eyes and envision all the stuff that he talks about so I just thought I'd put it on here if anyone wants to read it. It always brightens my day when I hear it, although it's probably not as good without the music. It makes me think about how big God is and how awesome he is to have created all the cool things that we have in the world. Have a great day, y'all. Arrivederci!

Well the moon moved past Nebraska, And spilled laughter on them cold Dakota Hills

And angels danced on Jacob's stairs. Yeah, they danced on Jacob's stairs.

There is this silence in the Badlands, And over Kansas the whole universe was stilled

By the whisper of a prayer, The whisper of a prayer.

And the single hawk bursts into flight, And in the east the whole horizon is in flames

I feel thunder in the sky, I see the sky about to rain,

And I hear the prairies calling out Your name.

I can feel the earth tremble beneath the rumbling of the buffalo hooves

And the fury in the pheasant's wings. And there's fury in a pheasant's wings.

It tells me the Lord is in His temple and there is still a faith that can make the mountains move

And a love that can make the heavens ring. And I've seen love make heaven ring.

Where the sacred rivers meet beneath the shadow of the Keeper of the plains

I feel thunder in the sky, I see the sky about to rain,

And I hear the prairies calling out Your name.

From the place where morning gathers You can look sometimes forever 'til you see

What time may never know. What time may never know.

How the Lord takes by its corners this old world and shakes us forward and shakes us free

To run wild with the hope, To run wild with the hope.

The hope that this thirst will not last long, that it will soon drown in the song not sung in vain

And I feel thunder in the sky, I see the sky about to rain,

And I hear the prairies calling out Your name

And I know this thirst will not last long, That it will soon drown in the song not sung in vain

I feel thunder in the sky, I see the sky about to rain,

And with the prairies I am calling out Your name.


2 comments:

Jenshka said...

Wow, Calyn I love reading your blog. I was like dying laughing as I pictured you falling out of your bunk bed. Sorry, but you have to admit that it was funny. I'm glad your day finished better than it started out. That song sounds really cool, but I've never heard it before. You'll have to find it on Rhapsody and play it for me sometime :-). See you tonight!
Love ya, Jenna

Anonymous said...

so, the song was a beautiful flashback to my songs of the day in Guatemala ;o)

As for your start of the day, all I have to say is "only Calyn" :o) (I love you)

But, I'm super glad your day ended on a happy note.