Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Phone home...ou peut-être, non.

I'm so excited because Todd is taking the juniors and seniors in our youth group to Ukraine this summer! Hooray! Me and Jenshka came up with some great ideas for fundraisers.... :0) It's gonna be so much fun! I don't have too much to say other than that. I just got home from drama practice. I left at 8:00 this morning and have just now gotten home, so I really need to go do some homework and stuff. I know that's not very exciting, but it's all I can manage at the moment. Hmmm, what's something exciting I can leave you with? Ooh, here's some funny laws I found earlier today.
On the island of Jersey it's against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season.
In Fairbanks, Alaska it is illegal for a moose to walk on the sidewalk. (This dates back to the early days of the town when the owner of the bar had a pet moose that he used to get drunk. The moose would then stumble around the town drunk. The only way the law makers could prevent this from happening was to create the law so the moose could not cross the sidewalk and get into the bar. Poor moose. I want a pet moose. My birthday's coming up...)
It is against the law to whale hunt in Oklahoma. (I see a problem with this one...)
And last but not least, this is the best one! I knew there had to be something good about France!
It is illegal to sell an E.T. doll in France. (They have a law forbidding the sale of dolls that do not have human faces. )
I hate E.T.! He is the scariest thing I've ever seen! Rock on, France!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In some churches it's against the law to enjoy life!

Anonymous said...

"E.T. Phone Home"

Jenshka said...

Calyn, you are so funny. I love you so much. Me and Brandon are just sitting here reading this entry and we were cracking up. Brandon says that he is going to make a blog. I think that's a really good idea except it will probably just be filled with all his weird stuff...

trisha said...

hi calyn! i figured i'd post on your blog since you posted on mine. hopefully you like comments as much as i do :) so you americans have some strange laws... but up here in canada things work a bit differently. did you know that in quebec you could be put in jail if you don't help someone being mugged? yep... that's quebec. and just in case you were wondering, yes, saskatchewan is really that flat. take care, God bless!

Calyn said...

Whoa! they had a thing on Seinfeld about that. It's was the "good samaritan law" or something like that. That's crazy. I guess it's a good policy, though. I'd sure like to be helped if I was getting mugged.