Sunday, December 25, 2005

You gotta love it

Well, it's Christmas, so my Dad went this morning to pick up the paper. Why we ever buy the paper I don't know. I don't like the Tallahassee Democrat at all, but I guess the men in my household like the sports section. Now, for those of you who have forgotten, because, believe me, it wouldn't be very difficult to do, today is Christmas. Sometimes Christmas is confused with the more publicized "Happy Holiday" or "Chrismahanakwanza," but today is the day that 85% of the American population celebrate the birth of the Savior of the world. I know, I know, how does that stack up against all the other great holidays that are shoved down our throats every year? I mean, I know 99% of the people in Target yesterday were buying Christmas presents, but thank goodness (and certainly not God because I wouldn't want to offend anyone) that none of their store clerks were allowed to wish me a Merry Christmas yesterday because I just might have had to call my ACLU representative.
Anyway, back to the paper. I'd venture a guess that most of you would expect a nice "Happy Holidays" on the front page of the Tallahassee Democrat. Maybe even a tasteful "Merry Christmas" in small print (with a nice disclaimer on the bottom). You want to know what the front page story of the Tallahassee Democrat said today?

Suit: State worker info outsourced: Ex-employees say data went overseas
By Bill Cotterell DEMOCRAT POLITICAL EDITOR

Yes, happy Christmas to you all. That just put a little jingle in my step today. My Christmas is all the more complete now that I've seen that article. Last night, me, Chris, Cam, Dad and Lori went in Hunington Estates to look at Christmas lights and Chris was flipping back and forth between 99.9 and 107.1 because both were playing, uh-um, holiday music. We were in the car for an hour and I never heard one song on either station that mentioned Jesus at all. It was "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Home for the Holidays" and "It's the lil' St. Nick" over and over and over. I mean, I was thinking when I heard "Happy X-mas the War is Over" for the 57th time the other day, if John Lennon and can sing about Christmas, the one who tried to imagine the world with no religion at all, I think it's okay to play a couple stanzas of "O Come all ye Faithful" on a Christmas station. Oh well. Maybe they're leaving it up to the 85% to sing the song that we should probably all be singing today.

Happy birthday to you.
Happy birthday to you.
Happy birthday, dear Jesus.
Happy birthday to you.

No comments: